This is a free online information service, covering topics such as scholarly publishing, avoiding questionable publishing practices, open access, open educational resources, access to knowledge, copyright and related matters, library matters, including institutional repositories and digitisation projects, access issues related to people with disabilities, and other topics. Should you not wish to receive these emails anymore, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Unsubscribe to online service” in the subject field.
Copyright: South Africa
- Artists rally behind copyright and performers’ protection bills
- Who is the Real ‘Enemy’ of Artists in the Copyright Chess Game?
- Who’s ‘Pulling the Wool Over Whose Eyes’?
- Why Should a Human Rights-Related Copyright Bill Sink AGOA?
- South Africa: Copyright Amendment Bill approved by NCOP on 26 September 2023 (will now go through the National Assembly processes for concurrence)
- Analysis – ASTM vs PRO (Fair use case)
- Dead NFTs: The Evolving Landscape of the NFT Market
- How Do Artists Tackle the Confluence of AI and Copyright?
- How To Download Free Copyright Music from YouTube
- Humans of Bombay Vs People of India: Can an Idea Be Copyrighted?
- Is Someone Selling Your Dissertation Without Your Permission?
- Joining the Call for Canadian Copyright Reform Now
- Navigating NFTs, copyright and trademarks: insights from South Africa
- Your NFTs Are Actually — Finally — Totally Worthless
AI and IP Issues
- An old master? No, it’s an image AI just knocked up … and it can’t be copyrighted
- Artificial Intelligence and Intellectual Property: Who Has the Right to Machine-Generated Art?
- Artificial intelligence vs. copyright: Examining high-stakes battle over content
- Coinbase CEO Calls for Deregulation of Artificial Intelligence
- Cold Open: The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Authorship in Film and Television Writing
- Copyright Liability for Generative AI Pivots on Fair Use Doctrine
- Generative Artificial Intelligence and Copyright Law – Analysis
- Hollywood Writers Reached an AI Deal
- Lawmakers Drill US Copyright Head Over Protections for AI Art
- OpenAI confirms that AI writing detectors don’t work
- Thomson Reuters Will Head to Trial in AI Model Copyright Battle
- United States: OpenAI Faces Legal Battle from Authors Over Alleged Copyright Infringement
- Academic writing has completely changed: Turnitin forges ahead
- AI, Copyright & Research Resources
- Artificial Intelligence Compromises Academic Integrity
- GPT, Large Language Models, and the Trough of Disillusionment
- 10 Ways to Win In the Age of Artificial Intelligence
- To Err is Not Human: The Dangers of AI-assisted Academic Writing
Open Access, A2K & Scholarly Communications
- Digitisation and Digital Curation Resources
- Ending Human-Dependent Peer Review
- How Does Mandated Code-sharing Change Peer Review? An Interview with PLOS Computational Biology
- Measuring Metadata Impacts on Discoverability: A Conversation at the 2023 AUPresses Meeting
- Open Access and Sales Revenue Can Co-Exist
- Resources on Open Science
- Publishers, Don’t Use AI Detection Tools!
- Scholarly Peer Review is an Age-Old Practice, But Publishing is Changing
- Swap Authorship for ‘Movie Credits’ Approach, Academics Suggest
- The American Chemical Society Offers a New Twist on the Article Processing Charge: An Interview with Sarah Tegen
- Why open source is the cradle of artificial intelligence
Predatory Publishing Practices & Detection Tools
- Predatory Practices and Citation Pollution
- Rising number of ‘predatory’ academic journals undermines research and public trust in scholarship
- Fidelior™ Research Tool – (to check journal titles & reference lists)
- Think, Check, Submit Tool (for publications)
- Think, Check, Attend Tool (for conferences)
Conferences/Webinars – Alerts
- IFLA Webinar – Rescuing our world from the harms of censorship: Providing access to information in unprecedented times – 4 October 2023
- LIASA Annual Conference 2023 – Cape Town, South Africa – 10-13 October 2023
- Global Summit on Diamond Open Access – Toluca, Mexico, 23-27 October 2023
- 1st Tacet Knowledge Management Davos Forum – Unlocking the Power of Tacit Knowledge – Davos, Switzerland – 13-14 November 2023
- Fantastic Futures – Annual International Conference – AI for Libraries, Archives, and Museums, Internet Archive Canada, Vancouver, CA – 15-17 November 2023
- Science Forum South Africa 2023 – Pretoria, South Africa – 6-8 December 2023